Tuesday 8 April 2008

Where to start....?

A book blog. I've been toying with the idea of starting one for ages, but I read so much that I didn't really know where to start. It seems like sooo much hard work to write the kind of detailed review that I feel each one really warrants.

So I'll just start with some photos of some books around here and blog down the thoughts that come mind when I see them.

So, here's my current bookshelf. The one next to the bed which holds the books I've just finished, or am about to read, or re-read, and some DVDs.














This one currently having its spine broken (rolls eyes @ self...) is The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell - my current main read. I'm about 80% through it now and have enjoyed it, even though it has taught me and moved my thinking in quite painful ways on the subjects of poverty, social contructs, competitiveness and what human beings are capable of doing to themselves and one another. I want to write more about this and probably will, when I've finished the book.














This is a book I've had for years and keep dipping into. One of these days (hopefully soon, which is why it's on this shelf) I plan to read it properly and hopefully understand a little bit more about how the world works. I've been interested in 'wacky maths' ever since I did an OU course on the subject.














Yeah. Hehee, this isn't one of mine, honest! It's the baby's favourite DVD, with a couple of my favourite ones next to it there: Bread and Darling Buds of May. I love good stories about big families.














This is one I'm planning to re-read as part of the ongoing attempts to cure my rodent phobia. I seem to remember it's a very funny book, albeit very ratty...! :-/














This is a book I've been looking forward to reading for years. I just daren't start it. The maths scares me - not to mention the physics. But I really really want to. No I don't! Yes I do. (See?!)


















One of Ali's I've borrowed. What's this all about then? Yes, I can read the title, but... I seem to think it was quite famous a few years ago..? Oh well, am intrigued. Might tuck into it next.














Blurry pic, but this is one of my favourite books of all time: Katherine by Anna Seton, a 'factional' story based on the life of Katherine Swynford, wife of John of Gaunt. Well worth reading, especially to develop a domestic understanding of that part of British history. And a beautiful love story. I'm not normally a fan of love stories, but this one is very good - not the usual kind at all! I re-read it every few years, and I think that time is coming around again soon, which is why it's here on this shelf.














Ohhh, Wealth of Nations. I wanted it so much. I really want to understand more about the 'science' of Economy and this is supposed to be one of its foundation stones. But it's as dry as old bones and as dull as ditchwater! How does anyone ever get through it?? Maybe I'll try reading it from the middle or something instead.


















I recently finished this one and it affected me a lot. It's about Chris McCandless, a middle class American graduate, who turned his back on civilisation, went off into the wilds of Alaska on his own and died there. Hmm. Sad, profound and very thought-provoking because the question of course, is - why? And the book contains some suggested answers.


















I started this and might finish it. But I'm about 20% through and bored now. Corporations and their advertisers are trying to manipulate our minds to separate us from our money so they can have it instead. I get that already. How many different ways can it be said?


















Got to go now - being dragged away to read this to the baby, for about the 20th time today, starting at 5am!














Oh, but now I've finally started I realise I could easily do much more book blogging. And I have much more to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home